Good weather, good friends, good food—these are the basic (and essential!) ingredients for a successful picnic. Now that the Summer months draw closer, we can head back out into the great outdoors, sit on the lawns of a park or reserve with blankets, cool drinks and all sorts of other goodies. Perfect for both kids and adults or both combined, it is a simple, no fuss and easy break from everyday life. After feasting, relaxing in the open air feels twice as fun. No matter what the variables are; whether for romantic reasons, a get together or alternatively, whether its held in a city park, the wilderness or your own garden, all you need to do is bring yourself and a basket full of delicacies. Despite this, a few handy helpers are needed to ensure the picnic is picture perfect. We have eight essentials covered for the trip.
1. Picnic blanket - preferably with a coated, water-resistant bottom to give moisture, cold and dirt no chance.
2. Dishes and cutlery - ideally unbreakable and sturdy. If you want to do the environment a favor, don't use disposal, bungle use items that will just end up in landfill—use plates, knives, crockery and cutlery that you can reuse.
3. Cooler Bag - An essential companion to hold drinks, meat and dairy products so they stay cool and fresh. Our tip: Buy re-freezable ice packs and keep them in the fridge well in advance.
4. Tea towels, paper towels, napkins - For wiping hands, mopping up spills and just general cleanliness of both you and your picnic site.
5. Garbage bag - Respect the environment. Leave the picnic area as clean and tidy as you found it.
6. Lunch boxes - Handy and space saving containers which will hold all your goodies such as salads, fruits, desserts. They also provide accident-free and fresh transport to the picnic area. If there are no opportunities for you to clean up at the picnic site, you can simply put the lids back on and wash the containers at home.
7. Pocket knife - Plastic knives don't cut bread as well and as nicely as one would like. In addition, you can use the other functions of the knife to open bottles or packaging.
8. Vermin/bug protection - No one wants to share their delicious food with hungry creepy crawlies, wasps and other animals. Corresponding sprays or scented candles guarantee an undisturbed picnic.