How does the Larger Home Extension Scheme affect your building plans? | homify | homify
Error: Cannot find module './CookieBanner' at eval (webpack:///./app/assets/javascripts/webpack/react-components_lazy_^\.\/.*$_namespace_object?:3646:12) at at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:189:7) at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:696:11) at startup (bootstrap_node.js:204:16) at bootstrap_node.js:625:3

How does the Larger Home Extension Scheme affect your building plans?

Johannes van Graan Johannes van Graan
Belgravia Mews House Modern living room by Urbanist Architecture Modern
Loading admin actions …

Got any plans to build a single-storey rear extension for your home? Under your Permitted Development (PD) rights, you can now embrace the opportunity to enjoy a doubled size allowance thanks to the Larger Home Extension Scheme. And this includes extensions up to 8 m (used to be 4 m) for a detached house, and 6 m (from 3 m) for all other houses.  

You may have known that this scheme used to only apply to projects completed before the end of May 2019. Well, recently, the government permanently extended the PD rights, which means the deadline is abolished.

Keep in mind that any such proposal is still bound by the relevant Neighbour Consultation Scheme (more on that later), and that your local Planning Authority needs to be kept in the loop. 

1. What is Permitted Development?

Smart kitchen and dining area Minimalist dining room by Urbanist Architecture Minimalist Wood Wood effect
Urbanist Architecture

Smart kitchen and dining area

Urbanist Architecture

Permitted Development (PD) rights are a set of policies allowing homeowners more flexibility when it comes to expanding their houses, granting pre-approved permission. This give you the rights to extend your property (to a certain size) without going through the entire Full Planning Permission system, which can work out more costly and take much more time. Just take note that you are free to do this as long as you comply with certain rules.   

This generally applies to single-storey side- or rear extensions, loft conversions, front porches, double-storey extensions, outbuildings, skylights or dormer windows, solar panels, and new doors or windows. 

But remember that everything has restrictions, even PD rights. Thus, double-storey extensions, larger loft conversions, flats, and most properties in conservation areas are not covered by PD rights. 

2. How will your single-storey rear extension qualify?

Just make sure that your plans don’t extend more than 8 m (for a detached property) or 6 m (for all other properties) from the rear elevation of the original house, as it stood on 1 July 1948. 

3. How will your single-storey rear extension qualify? (part 2)

Open-plan living area Modern living room by Urbanist Architecture Modern Wood Wood effect
Urbanist Architecture

Open-plan living area

Urbanist Architecture

Even if you haven’t added a rear extension onto your house yourself, your PD rights may have already been used up if a previous owner decided to build an extension. Should you believe this to be the case, feel free to contact one of the architects at Urbanist Architecture to check on your behalf. 

And remember that the development must also abide by other conditions that apply to all rear extensions allowed under PD. These include:

• No more than half the area of land around the original house (as it existed on 1 July 1948) can be covered by buildings.

• Measured from the highest point of natural surface ground, the maximum height of the extension can’t exceed 4 m. Should the extension be within 2 m of a boundary, the maximum height is reduced to 3 m. 

• The appearance of the construction materials must be very similar to those used for the existing house. 

• No balconies, chimneys, raised platforms, or verandas are included.

• This scheme does not cover homes in conservation areas, flats, or maisonettes. 

4. What is the Neighbour Consultation Scheme?

The Neighbour Consultation Scheme is the approval process for extensions built under the Larger Home Extension Scheme.

After you have provided the detailed plans for your intended project to the council (with which Urbanist Architecture can assist you with), they will inform you of any adjoining owners / occupants to your development (such as your neighbours). They will then be invited to raise any objections within a 21-day period.  

Should there be no opposition within the adequate time frame, and your development complies with all of the correct regulations under PD rights as well as the larger Homes Extension Scheme, you will be notified by the council (within 42 days). Only then may you commence your building project, potentially under certain additional conditions. 

But if your application is refused, you are allowed to appeal – and once again, Urbanist Architecture can advise you in this regard on the best possible course of action to get your intended project approved. 

Since we’re all about doing this the right (and stylish) way, let’s see The easy way to perfectly position your television

Is an extension (or any other kind of building project) in your near future?
Whitton Drive by GK Architects Ltd Modern

Need help with your home project?
Get in touch!

Discover home inspiration!