Although it is not mandatory to hire a Landscape Architect, there are a range of benefits that come with having a professional in charge of your project:
1. They can increase your home’s value: As a styled-up garden and yard can increase your property’s value by as much as 15%, hiring a professional Landscape Architect is seen as one of the best investments for your home. In addition, they also possess the skills and experience to provide you with an outdoor living space that can allow you to enjoy all that nature has to offer in terms of al fresco dining, resting and relaxation, socialising spaces, etc.
2. They work with a plan: Landscape Architects are trained to think of outdoor spaces as systems. Thus, they will assess your property’s problem areas while also coming up with possibilities of how to make it more functional and beautiful. They will also help you to select the ideal materials, furnishings, textures, styles and colours for your landscape project.
3. They know how to lower energy bills: Putting some thought into where to place trees and large shrubs can make a massive difference to energy bills by reducing heating and cooling costs.
4. They can design beautiful rain gardens: If your back yard experiences seasonal flooding, the right Landscape Architect can create a properly-placed rain garden. This will help create a habitat for birds and beneficial insects, plus filter rainwater runoff away from lawns and sidewalks and allow the water to infiltrate back into the ground. These are much more visually pleasing than storm drains or French drains.
5. They can devise the perfect drip irrigation system: With a drip irrigation system, your garden’s plants are watered right at the root – a very clever alternative to sprinkler systems. But if said system is placed incorrectly, your monthly water bill could skyrocket. Rather allow a professional to take charge.
Why choose a Birmingham Landscape Architect?
With a Birmingham Landscape Architect, you are working with a professional who can introduce you to other pros in the industry, including Gardeners, Tilers, and many more.
In addition, working with a local also means:
• Lower travel expenses for all parties
• Paying less on transporting materials for your project
• Benefitting from the Landscape Architect’s knowledge on the local climate and environment, preferred plants and soil types, Birmingham’s relevant building regulations, plus the applicable authority’s planning regulations.
What are the cost factors for a Birmingham Landscape Architect?
The design process of any development project requires imagination and creativity, but once the direction and aesthetic is defined, real money is required to bring it to life.
Thanks to their training and experience, a professional Landscape Architect is able to provide a budget range or guide you through the pricing / bidding process. This will help you decide whether to continue with the project in various stages, or complete it all in one go.
Generally, it is advised to invest no more than 5 - 10% of your home’s market value in order to prevent you from overspending.
What are some things to think about when looking for a Landscape Architect?
· Ask for a license: Not just anybody can call themselves a professional Landscape Architect. Most of them hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, while others trained as professionals’ apprentices. Never hire someone who can’t provide proof of training or a license.
· Request references: Do your research to find out what others think of the candidate you’re considering. If, for some reason, the Landscape Architect claims that they “don’t have the client’s number anymore”, tread carefully. You want someone who is trustworthy and who has strong business principles working on your property.
· Creativity and imagination: If you can come up with better ideas than the Landscape Architect, they might not be the right person for the job. And remember that they should be able to provide the pros and cons of each layout.
· Payment method: Before any work starts, make sure you have a written contract detailing the design, the timeline of the project, plus all the costs – you don’t want hidden fees popping out at the last minute. Similar to a contractor, it might be necessary for you to pay a deposit before the project starts, and provide final payment near the end or after completion.How you can find the right Birmingham Landscape Architect
homify is all about making design- and construction projects easier, and that includes putting you in touch with the right professionals in your area. Therefore, to see which Landscape Architects are available in the Birmingham area, simply click on ‘Birmingham’ in our selection of locations/cities at the bottom of the ‘Landscape Architects’ page. Alternatively, type in ‘Birmingham’ in the ‘search’ bar.
Every professional has their own page with additional information, including images and data of past projects, contact details, and customer reviews (when available).