What Does a Landscape Architect Do?
The landscape architect works in outdoor spaces, in both public and private spaces. It is responsible for the project management, as for the final opinion of the works.
The work process of a landscape architect includes the following services:
• For public work, the practitioner becomes aware of the call for proposals from the community concerned and proceeds, among other things, for topographic surveys to compete;
• If it is a job for a private individual, the landscape architect identifies the customer's request, expectations, according to the customer's region, environment and conditions;
• Undertake a landscape analysis of the site it will develop, as well as diagnosis, identifying the fairest technical solutions to the problems and constraints imposed by the environment;
• Prepares all documents that define the pre-projects and the final project, texts and images: sketches, layout plans, perspective sketches, among others. Make measurements, levelling and planting plans;
• The landscape architect is also responsible for the administrative documents required for the project: legal clauses, bidding rules, commitment documents. Technical plans for earthworks, irrigation networks and infrastructure are also your responsibility;
• In addition to the implementation of a project, the landscape architect can also intervene in the field of consulting, studies, teaching and research.
The landscape architect can work in different fields: as a liberal, in a design office, in municipal services or local authorities, in large companies, in training institutions, associations or NGOs… Undoubtedly, it is a multi-purpose and growing profession. , as the area is increasingly given importance, both in terms of urban planning of municipalities and individuals.
How to find the right landscape architect?
We are convinced that finding a landscape architect has never been easier because homify works a bit like the yellow pages of the modern era. Through our platform, you have access to a vast contact list. Just go to the “professionals” tab and narrow your search through your zip code or served area. Then you just have to choose the landscape architect, get in touch and ask him for a free quote.
On the other hand, you will surely have in your city, landscape architecture offices, with a large team of professionals, with whom you can work.
Finally, if you have ever seen a landscape architecture project that you liked, you can always look for the professional who has done it in order to get in touch with you.
What should you consider before hiring a landscape architect?
Put your project in writing. Before contacting a professional, make a list of all your wishes for the realization of your garden or outdoor. Set priorities, evaluate your budget and, if necessary, divide your project by priorities. This is a way to help you decide if you can do the project yourself or if you need to hire a landscaping company.
After thinking and evaluating all the elements, as well as putting them on paper, you will have a clearer overview of how to create the layout before contacting the landscape architect.
The truth is that behind the beautiful photographs of gardening magazines, we often forget that there have been great works and works before reaching the end result. Not to mention the astronomical sums sometimes invested.
Ask yourself (a lot) - who will manage the work and arrange material delivery? Alone or with the help of a landscape architect? An architect? Who will follow the process? Want to do some work yourself? Do you know how to dig, cut down trees, choose the right plants for your area and move the soil? How will you get rid of the rubble? Then you should check with your municipality. Are there any cables or pipes that run under the soil of your garden?
Finally, a landscape architect will be able to advise you according to your tastes, your intentions, the style of your home and the environment in which you find yourself. You will also be a mentor among a whole multidisciplinary team of professionals.
How much does a landscape architect cost?
Not a cheap service. But is it still not worth making another financial effort to have a home or business space that is harmonious and in keeping with the style defined? As good as we may have to do, the work of a skilled professional will always make a difference.
Try to find a professional in your area, thus avoiding travel costs. We recommend that you always ask for 2 to 3 different budgets to compare prices, duration, services, and more.
Try to investigate the companies or the individual and ask for the portfolio to avoid bad surprises. Through homify, you have access to reliable Portuguese landscape architects, where you can analyze the work, read comments and get some feedback on the work done through photographs of the projects.