A development of 5 residential properties in the Berwickshire village of Birgham. The dwellings have been designed to take advantage of the exceptional views South to the River Tweed and the Cheviots beyond. The properties are located on the eastern edge of the village and comprise two single storey steading conversions and three detached two storey houses.
The site is steeped in history with the farm steading dating back to at least 1750 and forms part of the grounds of a 12th century chapel. In the village itself, the Treaty of Birgham, between the Scottish and English kingdoms, was concluded in 1290.
The houses have been designed around a central courtyard, yet each one offers a high level of privacy and individuality. An eco minimalist approach has been adopted with extensive Southerly glazing to maximise solar gain, mass concrete floors and high level of insulation. In addition to this eco-friendly solar panels have been included for hot water heating.
Aitken Turnbull Architects will be producing proposals for further development of the area in the near future.